We need Menstrual and Menopause Supports in All Workplaces
26 October 2023
- We need to Stop the Stigma
Labour’s Workers’ Rights spokesperson, Senator Marie Sherlock, has today joined the Trade Union call for menstrual and menopause support in all workplaces, called ‘stop the stigma’.
The aim of the campaign is to reduce workplace stress and inequality associated with menstruation and menopause.
Senator Sherlock said:
“It is time to end the stigma and silence surrounding menstruation and menopause. Too many workers are suffering in silence, and this is having a negative impact on their health, well-being, and productivity.
“The campaign is about creating a more inclusive and supportive work environment for all workers, measures that workplaces could take include:
- Flexible scheduling options, such as remote work and adjusted hours, to accommodate physical discomfort and fatigue due to periods and menopause.
- Paid time off for those suffering with severe discomfort and pain.
- Free menstrual and menopause products in toilets and tailored options upon request.
- A culture that supports open discussions and understanding of menstruation and menopause.
“Spain has been at the forefront of this movement and has recently moved to entitle all who menstruate with 3 - 5 days of paid off per month if medically required. This is a welcome step forward and I hope that other countries will follow suit.
“I’m calling on the Government to support the aims of the ‘stop the stigma’ campaign. This is a matter of social justice and equality. It’s time for the Government to take more action and support workers who menstruate.”